[Sca-cooks] Pre-Registrations for Feast

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 28 08:40:10 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
< < < < Are you in a heavily military area?  I don't know if it is true SCA
wide, but
some places that I have been as a military dependent had troubles with
pre-reg concept because the soldiers (and therefore spouses!) couldn't
guarantee
that they would be in town due to the uncertainty of the training calendar,
staff
duty calendar, and all the deployments.

I understand the great help it is to an autocrat/head cook to have numbers,
but I, personally, hated to pay the fees and loose them because my husband
suddenly got deployed!  (Now that we are retired, we know our schedules and
can
pre-reg.)

A sus ordenes,
Constanza   > > > > >

Military is one possible reason.  I know that the change in the nature of
employment, families and committments and such is different now than it was
even 20 years ago, so I am sure that plays a role somwhere as well.  There
are probably dozens more, when you really get into it.  I suspect that
demanding pre-registration absolutely is not something that is valued in our
state/part of the kingdom, so it will not be persued en masse.  Some smaller
groups need every head they can get through the doors, and some larger
groups enjoy the reputation for accomodation.  The challenge of numbers just
adds to the list of things to accomplish is providing food service at events
'round here.

Some groups in Meridies I believe have tried the cut-off dates with varied
success.  I am not aware of any that consistently use that tool for managing
the events.  More are doing a total 'seats' cutoff, though, to provide more
comfort and atmospheric enjoyment.  No more cramming 175 into a hall really
intended for 135.

niccolo difrancesco