[Sca-cooks] A great THANKS

Marion Waldegrave marionofwintersgate at twistedsistah.com
Mon Feb 19 13:46:22 PST 2007

For EVERYONE that sent me all the wonderful links and recipes.  I am
going to submit one of them, for the crab, for our cookbook because i
adapted a few i found and the ones that you all sent in.  The running
theme for period preparation seemed to be using the butter, vinegar,
sugar and cinnamon.  Which was perfect for Hearts Revel, since
cinnamon is traditionally used in many dishes as adding a bit of lust
and love to the dish.  I took it a step further and added cloves, a
TOUCH of grinded dried minced garlic from this summer,  grinded lemon
peel *it was dried from this summer also*, and ended up adding a
couple teaspoons of yellow curry.  I used Irish butter, a full pound,
and mixed all the sauce, and cooked it down to blend the tastes while
my fiance and i shucked all the crab legs *you should see my hands
and we broke two pairs of kitchen scissors till i finally found my
seafood sheers.. LOL we ended up only doing six pounds and then the
presentation used two of the claws.

I entered it into the finger food contest and won!  I served it with
some fresh made roasted garlic hard bread *not modern garlic bread
but an organic recipe i have that used roasted garlic cloves in the
dough itself* And used one of the claws to present it with on a
beautiful platter.. i was SO stoked that the Prince and the Princess
of Oertha and every other judge, including our Baron and Baroness
voted on it unanimously, I had to share with all of you who helped,
and i let them know i could not have created this without you guys.

I also made these, but i added cardamon also.  And  i used smoked
gouda *smirk* smoked sharp cheddar and swiss.  They were a HUGE hit.
Since i could not get those mushrooms i mixed the usual oyster and
the darker baby shroomies from the store! All my herbs were mixed in
a mortar prior to adding. and I put them in a gluton free tartlet shell.

THANK YOU AGAIN

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/finger-foods-msg.html

MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside,
closed above: and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and
parboil; if you wish to put them in
pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.
Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little
salt, cheese and powdered spices. You can find them at the end of May
and in June.

I have made these as little tartlets for a buffet, they go over well.
For about 24 or so.
Small blind baked pastry cases.
1 lb mushrooms, parboiled, cooled and chopped
1/2 lb cheese (I have used cheddar, swiss, colby and a combination of
any of them)
Mix sliced mushrooms and cheese with a little salt, pepper, ground
nutmeg, ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger (to taste) fill the pastry
cases and bake briefly.