[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 23:22:18 PST 2007

Bear replied to me with:
=====
 > Were the Puritans ever in a position to impose their opinions on
 > English (or Dutch) society as a whole?
 >
 > Stefan

Ask Oliver Cromwell.
=====

Huh? Was Oliver Cromwell a Puritan?  I'm afraid I don't know that
much about him.  I have enough problems learning about all the stuff
before 1600 CE, much less the century after that. I think I've read
two opinions on Cromwell. One thought he was evil incarnate and the
other thought although he did some bad things he could have been much
worse and that he did bad to keep from having to do worse.

This does bring up another question though. The Puritans were
distinct enough to be their own sect. What happened to them after the
early 17th Century? I don't imagine that they all managed to
immigrate to the New World. It is sort of like the Norse. Looking at
the SCA, you'd think that when the Viking Age ended, the Norse got
teleported somewhere else. Gunthar is one of the few post-Viking Age
Norse that I know of in the SCA. Certainly there are very few
compared to "Vikings".

Stefan

PS: Although I don't believe it answers this question, there is this
Florilgium file:
Puritans-msg      (17K)  2/22/02    The Puritan movement of the 16th
and 17th C.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/Puritans-msg.html
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas