[Sca-cooks] what do you do with Quinces?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 17:14:09 PST 2007

Helen asked:

<<< Warning; I am in all possibilities, about to ask a stupid
question.>>>

Not very likely.

<<< I have seen these boxes of tiny yellow quinces in the store, at
rather high prices, considering. There may be about a dozen or so in
a box, and the price hovers from 2.50 to 3, per box. >>>

I've seldom seen them here and when I have, 2.50 to 3 EACH is closer
to the price I remember seeing. Maybe there are different size quinces.

<<< What can you do with them, and how many would it take to do them
right?  Five pounds of them would be rather...pricey...for an
experiment. >>>

Quince paste/marmalade.  Because of its high natural pectin content,
quinces were probably the first fruit used to make marmalades.

fruit-quinces-msg (86K)  6/11/06    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-quinces-msg.html
marmalades-msg    (76K)  6/18/04    Period marmalades and fruit
jellies and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

Since I find his story amusing and because this question about ripe
or overly-ripe quinces came up in another thread, here is a message
from my fruit-quinces-msg file.

Stefan

--------