[Sca-cooks] o happy day!

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 5 22:23:27 PST 2007

Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 21:38 schrieb Kathleen A Roberts:
> finally!  an excuse to write about food and feasting in
> middle earth and potential resemblance to medieval
> recipes!
>
> it appears the modern lit with medieval themes class i am
> taking this semester is doing tolkein!  hooray!  the
> hobbit and LOTR.  and no special editions, either... i can
> use the ones i own already.  class starts the 17th.  i am
> SO ready!
>
> boy, all of the things i have learned from you guys and
> directions you have pointed me in are going to come in
> really handy.
>
> just have to convince the teacher it's a legit topic.  8)

If they're into postmodernism, convince them that food in Tolkien is a
symbolic language. It actually is, so that should be easy enough. But be
careful with medieval tie-ins - Tolkien's foodways are really the foodways of
an idealised rural England, plus a slightly skewed image of the wider world.
there is some influence of early medieval poetry, but wherever you get down
to hard facts (and ingredients), you are talking Olde Englande.

I once cooked Bilbo's feast with the dwarves, and I found almost every single
recipe in Hartley's 'Food in England' (a nostalgic 'looking back' book that
is almost contemporary with the Lord of the Rings, which I think is not
coincidence - it reflects the world both Hartley and Tolkien were nostalgic
for).

There is also a 'Hobbit's Cookbook', but I'm not very fond of it. Nanny Ogg is
by far the superior food writer.

Giano