[Sca-cooks] period bread recipes (was Cooking Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 8 00:10:24 PST 2007

Joshua McCoy asked:
  <<< People I need help to know what the heck I am doing wrong with my
search for historicly acurat recipes for like candy, main dish,
bread, and deserts. >>>

Joshua, only 1/2 to a dozen medieval bread recipes exist. You can
find a goodly number of those that do in this Florilegium file:
bread-msg        (220K)  3/23/06    Medieval breads and grains.

You can see some re-created recipes for different types of likely
medieval bread in several other files in the FOOD-BREAD section such as:
brd-mk-ethnic-msg (27K) 11/15/01    Making various ethnic breads.
Recipes.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (68K)  8/26/02    Period flat or unleavened bread
recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (60K) 10/31/04    Breadmaking -Period sourdough
bread recipes.

However making bread is often more art than science and it is not
necessarily what I would recommend for a beginning cook. There are
files though in that section which discuss yeasts and breadmaking
techniques.

If you are wanting to get a feel for how medieval recipes vary from
some modern ones and how they might be considered similar, you might
want to consider looking through these files and perhaps trying to
cook a few recipes:

3-F-Toast-Rec-art  (8K)  8/17/03    "Period French Toast Recipes"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d’Anjou.
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (21K) 11/14/04    Period French Toast. Recipes.

Or perhaps:
fried-breads-msg  (22K)  9/12/06    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.
Ital-fnl-caks-art  (6K)  6/29/06    "Italian Funnel Cakes" by Mistress
                                        Helewyse de Birkestad

The Florilegium contains numerous files for each of the various food
topics you ask about and the files I list above are only a fraction
of the files in one section. So I won't list a bunch of files in
those other sections. However, if you'd rather delve into a different
area, be more specific and I'll see what I can do. This is similar to
why other people have asked you for more specific details on what you
are looking for. I could point you to a lot more material, but you'd
likely feel a bit overwhelmed.

Stefan
(I once had a student ask me for everything I had on medieval food
for a school project. Somehow I don't think his ISP, Internet Service
Provider, would have been very happy if I had done that. )
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com