[Sca-cooks] Chinese Chicken Soup recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 18 08:39:05 PST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Sandra Kisner wrote:

> Phillipa posted:
>> chicken soup.  A few years ago, Master A posted a wonderful Chinese
>> chicken soup that had a slight sweet taste to it. ...Trying to
>> remember,... did it have orange juice in it??
>
> and Stefan replied:
>> However, looking through the recipes I've saved from this list, I
>> found this chicken soup recipe from Adamantius that might be the one
>> you were thinking of. I've pasted it below. My apologies if someone
>> else has already posted it. I'm still a bit behind in reading this
>> list.
>

> <recipe snipped>
>> Possible additions might be Chinese red raisins (which are really a
>> dried fruit not closely related to grapes; they're about 1/4 inch
>> long
>> and a sort of coral red),
>
> Could these be what are now being sold as "goji berries" (not sure
> about
> the spelling)?
>
> Sandra

I'm not completely sure. Maybe. I've got several Chinese pharmacopias
that more or less acknowledge (I think) the existence of these goji
berries, which I gather is Lyceum barbarum or wolfberry. However, the
only cookbook reference I have which clearly shows a color photo of
the item I'm talking about, identifies them only as kei chi, which
may or may not be said by someone who actually knows both languages
to be a recognizable Cantonese variant of the Mandarin gouqi (which
appears to be this wolfberry or goji). My wife calls these red
raisins, presumably only to distinguish them from red dates, which
are jujubes. I'll ask her later what she calls them in Toysan.

This probably doesn't help much, but I took a shot...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04