[Sca-cooks] Uniformity was Atlantian Twelfth Night Feast

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 26 06:32:47 PST 2007

Consider bread.  Hand shaped loaves will have some variation, but if you use
the same weight of dough, similarly shaped loaves will be very close to the
same size and will be very close to uniform.  Since the baker's profit was
based on weight by regulation but sales were by the loaf, the choice of a
uniform loaf that produces the optimal profit with the least wastage is
rational.  Think "pennyloaf".

Uniformity provides for optimal division and a certain visual aesthetic that
would enhance more extravegant singular presentations, so it might be chosen
deliberately for those reasons.  In food preparation, it might be enforced
by the uniformity of the tools for the preparation, which is why
manufactured foods are uniform.

I would also suggest that artisan products are not about individuality vs.
uniformity, but about superior craftsmanship which make superior products.

Bear