[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Twelfth Night Feast

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 05:13:26 PST 2007

On 1/26/07, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Were these apple slices naturally sour? Or were they sour because
> they were pickled like the kraut? If the former, what apple types
> would be sour and where would you find such apples?

I suspect that they were naturally sour...I have achieved a similar flavor
in dishes of all sorts by using Granny Smith apples.  They have a naturally
tart flavor that works well, particularly in German dishes.

So, I'm wondering if views on food uniformity might also differ then
> from now. Or do we both then and now seek uniformity? Today we do
> seem to seek uniformity in manufactured foods, but do we do so in
> chef made or artesian foods? Or do we emphasis individuality in such
> foods today to separate them from manufactured foods?
>
> Stefan

IMHO,  I believe that cooks in period probably tried to get their food to
look as professional and visually attractive as possible.  I would think
that, if they were trying to create individual pastries, as HRH Valharic
was, they would have made them as uniform as possible...a show of their
skill at their craft.

Kiri