[Sca-cooks] Stefan's questions was Atlantian Twelfth Night Feast

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 26 04:00:44 PST 2007

I looked at this and thought too many questions for too early in
the morning. Not enough caffeine yet. My guess is that perfection
in dishes served was class driven in part. The private kitchen that served
the king prepared dishes that looked different than the food served
in the lower halls to the various servants. Did the master pastry cook,
the confectioner, and the master cook prepare dishes for the great
council and the
king or did they work on the line serving the masses? I think the former
with the
apprentices working to prepare the hundreds of messes served twice a day.
Hampton Court often had as many as 1200 people being served two meals a day.
That's 2400 meals served in messes of 4 or 600 messes twice a day.
That's a lot
of food going out the kitchen door. As to perfection we do see
some great still lifes once that art style gets going. Since food
doesn't survive
we don't have the surviving items to look at and oooh over. There are
recipes, descriptions, accounts, and other written evidence;
there are pictures, engravings, some sketches, some woodcuts.
We have some pottery, silverware, glassware, and linens. We know where
kitchens were located and maybe we can tell something existed there beneath
the Victorian rehabs.

Johnnae