[Sca-cooks] OT - Blondie recipe

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 27 21:39:52 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
< < < < The pan was just what was called for (8x12), depth wasn't specified,
our oven seems to be reasonably close (and I even had it properly pre-
heated this time), altitude & humidity aren't a problem, all
measurements given were by volume, and it said to cut them hot
(though it's still goo now that they're cold).

The goo layer really reminds me of what happens when the fat ratio is
off - which is why I keep going back to it.  Interestingly enough,
the recipe is in an older version of the BH cookbook, but not in my
newer one.

Oh bother.

- Doc  > > > > > >

You definitely have to watch those copyright/publication dates in the BH
cookbook.  I found an older version on eBay so I didn't have to suffer with
on of the 80's or 90's editions.  Mine appears to be the thrid edition,
1965.  If our editions are the same, or the recipes are at least the same
for "Butterscoth Bars" . . . the ingredients listed are the same . . . then
we have something to work with.  Does yours start with making a toffee like
substance with the butter and sugar?

1.  Test your levening to be sure it is active.  A little warm water should
tell you if it fizzes.

2.  And possibly more important to the general discussion I quoted above . .
. my version indicates a different sized pan.  My recipe book says to spread
into a 15.5"x10.5"x1" jelly roll pan.  Bake in moderate (350F) oven for 25
minutes.  Your thickness would be way off in an 8x12.  If my math is right,
your thickness is something like 1.69 inches as opposed to 1 inch.  Maybe
the difference, or it could be your levening.

How does any of this jive with your recipe and instructions?

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco
(having left the buttermilk out of my cornbread this weekend)