[Sca-cooks] spit jack

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jan 29 15:54:32 PST 2007

Ivan Day actually went over to the Castle Museum in York
and borrowed a bunch of jacks to show us in 2004. Those papers
with illustrations ought to be out maybe this year.
His roasting course http://www.historicfood.com/roasting.htm shows some
other jacks.
He talks about a Renaissance jack here
http://www.historicfood.com/Italian%20Renaissance%20Cookery.htm
*Roasting with* *a Renaissance* */macchina /or/ molinello d'arosto/.* We
have recently aquired an original late sixteenth century fusee-regulated
/girorosto/, of a type similar to that illustrated above. It is complete
with a very rare form of basket spit, also illustrated in Bartolommeo's
/Opera/ and known as a /spiedo/ /doppio. /We will prepare a loin of veal
for the spit (/il lombo della vitella nello spedo/), which we will cook
for our lunch.

Johnnae