[Sca-cooks] Biersuppen

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 30 08:42:30 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
> I believe your classic technique is pretty spot on . . . but I am
> thinking
> it less likely that it would have been done just so in Rumpolt's
> time, from
> what I've read.  The progression seems okay, but the use of a whip
> would
> seem more a modern convenience than period tool.

I agree. Although there are period recipes that call for wooden
sticks to be split four ways from one end, as I recall, and Rumpolt
is pretty late in the chronology. If he didn't use a whip  of some
sort, regularly, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be shocked at the sight
of one.   > > > > > >

Well taken.  I jumped the gun a bit again.  I really should know better by
now when you're talking.  I think I'm just jonesing from so little period
cookery these last several months.  I have "making things harder" on the
brain.

Having just spewed all that about spoons and stuff, I'm going to pop open a
brown ale tonight and see how it goes.  It'll either be a rarebit sort of
thing or a soup.  Gotta see how the thickening works WITH A BALLOON WISK.
Then, if it is good enough for the wife, then I'll try it with the charcoal
and a "stick".

niccolo difrancesco