[Sca-cooks] Biersuppen

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 08:11:06 PST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> I believe your classic technique is pretty spot on . . . but I am
> thinking
> it less likely that it would have been done just so in Rumpolt's
> time, from
> what I've read.  The progression seems okay, but the use of a whip
> would
> seem more a modern convenience than period tool.

I agree. Although there are period recipes that call for wooden
sticks to be split four ways from one end, as I recall, and Rumpolt
is pretty late in the chronology. If he didn't use a whip  of some
sort, regularly, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be shocked at the sight
of one.

>   My dates may be off, but I
> thought we pretty much concluded that whisks were a still later
> development
> (barring the tree branch and 'snow' and herb branches in a couple
> places).
> Your description could be done with a wooden spoon, if with more
> effort and
> care.  I've made do when my wisk fell apart on me.  You can
> certainly make a
> passable imulsion sauce/soup with a flat/curved implement; it takes
> a good
> bit more wrist and arm, but it can be done.  Same with the butter
> mounting
> at the end.  Spoon can work.

No argument there. I was just knocking together an experimental
version, and my fault for translating it into a modern process in my
head, but I don't think the end result is far off.

> I also am curious if this could be made simply with a custard
> technique of
> blending everything together and bringing to heat to thicken.

Yes, it could, I'm sure. It could also be done in a double boiler.
It's just that it would have a greater tendency to curdle if an
inexperienced cook just throws it all in a pot and puts it over a
flame. I was figuring, get it right so you know what to look for,
then see how to get that level of quality in a more period manner.

>   That would
> seem a simpler technique we use in other stuff in later
> period . . . like
> Martino's zabalione.  Would be doable without the whick if you
> manage your
> heat well and pay attention.

Martino even gives quantities ;-). Sure, you could do it that way. In
fact, if you had some kind of raised hearth with embers covered with
ashes, you could do a really fine, gentle decoction in a heavy-
bottomed pot with a wooden spoon. I just figured, again, most people
do quick experiments over a gas flame in their kitchen, and take it
from there...

>   Possible we could do it both ways??

Of course! Then you get twice as much! Duh! ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04