[Sca-cooks] Half an outcast! St. Nick?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 3 14:29:21 PST 2007

Stefan wrote:
>Anyone eaten reindeer? Does it taste like venison? I doubt it tastes
>like chicken.

Yeah. But it was a long time ago, back when there was a World's Fair
in Flushing Meadows, NY...

I was, mmm, 15, IIRC. I was visiting the Fair with my family. We ate
one meal in a Scandinavian pavilion, but which i don't recall,
probably either Sweden or Finland. I ordered reindeer. IIRC, it had
been salted, and it was thinly sliced (sort of like carpaccio). I
can't recall what vegetable i had with the reindeer. For dessert i
had cloudberries with cream.

The taste of the reindeer was definitely not like chicken  :-) But it
wasn't like venison, either, probably because of the way it was
prepared. At this point, over 40 years later, my memory suggests it
tasted a bit like pastrami, but more tender, as it was so thinly
sliced.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita