[Sca-cooks] galingale/galanga/galangal

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 06:20:45 PST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 7:47 AM, Craig Jones wrote:

> I always thought that Galanga and laos were different beasts. From
> my days
> in Thailand I remember Laos (Chinese Keys) as being long, white or
> pale
> brown and finger like whilst Galanga was a larger root with a pink
> tinge.

It's my understanding that one is the Greater, and one the Lesser,
Galingale. I forget which is which, but yes, there's a reddish-
skinned one and a whitish one... to me, both taste a fair amount like
a Halls Eucalyptus Cough Drop. But as was pointed out, they've got
"camphor" in their name, so I'm not surprised as a certain resinous
quality...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782