[Sca-cooks] galingale/galanga/galangal

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jan 11 08:54:46 PST 2007

If you type in the various terms
galingale
galanga
galangal
into Google image searching you can look at what are identified as the
various items under discussion.
Pezeys sells Galangal
A close relative of ginger, galangal is an important and popular
ingredient in the foods of Indonesia and Southeast Asia, especially in
Thailand. Ground Galangal (formerly called Laos powder) is easier to
work with than whole Galangal and is commonly called for in recipes. The
flavor is similar to ginger, but more flowery and intense. Use small
amounts when starting out. Its flavor combines with ginger and lemon
grass in Thai cooking, and with white pepper and/or cayenne for
seasoning fish, meat or poultry. From Thailand.

In Ginger East to West,  Bruce Cost talks about both
varieties.

Johnnae