[Sca-cooks] Salty fishy liquid ( was Re: Murri )

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 19 13:45:47 PST 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Christiane wrote:

> For all those who love that rotted salty fishy stuff, Charles Perry
> sent me this link:
>
> http://www.tipicalia.com/main/prodotti_tipici/colatura_alici.html
>
> "Colatura di alice" (that last word is pronounced AH-leech in
> dialect), this page simultaneously claims, is directly descended
> from Greco-Roman cuisine or the creation of Cistercian monks. It's
> local to Cetara, a city on the Amalfi coast, where the Byzantines
> and Muslims occupied various locations at various times. It could
> be related to the fish murri, but again, it's impossible to tell.

I'd bet money it's more closely related to the Graeco-Roman liquamen
tradition (which may or may not be argued to be contiguous, if you
know what I mean), given both the location and the fact that its name
sounds quite a bit like "halec".

> I'm a bad little Italian. I can't stand sardines and have a low
> tolerance for anchovies, so the changes of me actually liking this
> stuff are very, very, low. Ecccccchhhhh!

<shrug> Good little Indians, Chinese, French, Filipino, and lots of
other people add small amounts of similar products to various dishes
in place of [some of the] salt, and most of them don't taste
particularly fishy... just not quite "right" without them.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04