[Sca-cooks] Salty fishy liquid ( was Re: Murri )

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 13:07:28 PST 2007

For all those who love that rotted salty fishy stuff, Charles Perry sent me this link:

http://www.tipicalia.com/main/prodotti_tipici/colatura_alici.html

"Colatura di alice" (that last word is pronounced AH-leech in dialect), this page simultaneously claims, is directly descended from Greco-Roman cuisine or the creation of Cistercian monks. It's local to Cetara, a city on the Amalfi coast, where the Byzantines and Muslims occupied various locations at various times. It could be related to the fish murri, but again, it's impossible to tell.

I'm a bad little Italian. I can't stand sardines and have a low tolerance for anchovies, so the changes of me actually liking this stuff are very, very, low. Ecccccchhhhh!

Gianotta