[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 5 06:12:17 PST 2007

> Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 03:00 schrieb Terry Decker:
>
>> I haven't dug very deeply into their history, but I wonder if Cromwell
>> may
>> not be at the root of the limitations placed on the Dissenters.
>
> Quite the contrary. Cromwell was instrumental in removing many of the
> earlier
> barriers, and himself being a dissenter voiced the opinion that everyone
> shjould be able to follow the dictates of their conscience freely in
> matters
> of religion. As long as it was a *Protestant* religion, of course. And not
> immoral. But his reputation as an intolerant persecutor is unfounded. His
> concern was firstly with public morality (hence no gaudy display or
> revelry)
> and secondly with national security (hence the Catholics Need Not Apply
> policy), not with doctrinal purity. He even allowed Jews back into
> England -
> by his lights they were not a problem, being both conspicuously moral and
> not
> Irish.
>
> Giano

Please note I said, "I wonder if Cromwell may not be at the root of the
limitations. "  I am referring to the response to his actions, not what
Cromwell personally did or did not do.  During the reign of Charles II, the
Corporation Act (1661), the Act of Uniformity (1662), the Conventicle Act
(1664) and the Five Mile Act (1665), were enacted.  All of these acts are
designed to ensure the supremecy of the Anglican Church and to reduce the
power, authority and ability of any non-Anglican person or demonination.

Bear