[Sca-cooks] [Ocdlapond] Moving Radar in Speeding Stops

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 2 22:26:53 PST 2007

<<< Oops.  Meant for a different list obviously.

Simon Sinneghe aka Mark H

At 08:37 PM 1/2/2007, I wrote:

> My understanding of the way these things work (subject to being flat
> wrong) is that it determines speed by reference to the ground as well
> as the target vehicle and that any necessary calculations are done
> internally not depending on the officer.
>
> Mark Hendershott  >>>

And I also believe that you are at least partially wrong. :-) You are
correct in that little depends upon the officer, although aiming at
the right object, avoiding interfering objects which could affect the
reading etc. are. But I believe the radar units use the doppler
effect (the frequency of waves reflected off of a moving object is
shifted slightly). I'm not sure if the optical guns use a doppler
effect or something else. Another possible method is using the time
of flight of several reflected pulses, but that is more subject to
error, although it may be how the older guns worked.

Mark
Next project, using a radar gun to cook your breakfast... :-)
(To Stefan this would be incomprehensible or a madman's mumblings)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com