[Sca-cooks] Sugar and slaves

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jan 3 10:56:52 PST 2007

> jenne at practicality wrote:
> "Slavery was uncommon, but not unknown.  In 1434, the Portuguese introduced
> African slaves into Europe."

Huh? Someone else wrote that.

>     Someone else insinuated slavery practically ended in the 12th
> Century. I suppose we did not have emancipations of slavery until the
> 19th century in several European countries due to the fact court systems
> around here are a little slow. . .

No, i said it was uncommon by the 13th century, which reliable
professional sources agree was true in England.

>     Yes, that seems to be what google is feeding you. Google is good for
> some things but in this area it displays such total ignorance that the
> subject is not worthy of debate considering   manuscripts, professional
> analogies and other reliable sources available.

Susan, I'm not sure where you are getting this. Everyone on this list
has cited manuscripts, professional anthologies (which I think is what
you mean) and other reliable sources to suggest that in our major period
and place of interest, people were much more likely to have access to
sugar and pepper than to slaves, which is the opposite of your
contention that those who 'could not afford' slaves would not have
access to pepper.

A simple example from manuscript sources: there is no evidence that the
well-to-do but hardly high-ranking Paston family in England kept slaves.
However, we know that they did have access to sugar, as the manuscript
Paston letters attest-- I believe it was Margaret Paston who wrote to
her husband asking him to send her another loaf of sugar as the old one
is used up.

Also, to utilize a quote from my notes of C.Anne Wilson's work:
    "The cost of spices fluctuated according to the supplies available,
but in general cinnamon (often called canell), ginger and pepper were
among the cheapest, cloves and mace were rather more expensive, while
saffron was always very dear, retailing at fourteen or fifteen shillings
a pound at various times in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
Saffron was a much used spice of medieval times, at least in the homes
of the well-to-do. But a little goes a long way, and Dame Alice de
Bryene used only three-quarters of a pound in 1418-19, a year in which
five pounds of pepper, two and a half of ginger, three of cinnamon, one
and a quarter of cloves and one and a quarter of mace were expended in
spicing the food for her household." -- C. Anne Wilson, Food and Drink
in Britain, p.283

John Munro, who wrote a number of books on medieval supply economics,
has in fact posted lecture notes on his work:
 "The Consumption of Spices and Their Costs in Late-Medieval and
Early-Modern Europe: Luxuries or Necessities?" Lecture Notes.
http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm

As you can see from his notes -- which I assure you match up with other
economic literature-- a half pound of pepper would be the equivalent of
a carpenter's daily wage in 1438-39 and sugar would be somewhat less.
The result is that sugar is only 4 times as expensive as Rye Flour for
that period in Antwerp, and Pepper very nearly the same.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net