[Sca-cooks] hard brown sugar versus soft brown sugar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 14:51:13 PST 2007

Devra commented:
<<< I always assumed that by 'soft brown sugar' they meant what we
call brown
sugar, and that the contrary, 'hard brown sugar', would be Demara
sugar, or
coffee sugar, which is used by the Brits, and also the Carribean
area... >>>

Ah, okay. I thought that first explanation about new and old brown
sugar sounded good, but you may be right. There seem to be more
grades/names/variations on sugar than almost any other food or spice.
Cap that by trying to figure out which would be closest to period
sugar ad you get a lot of opinions. That was why I created this
Florilegium file:

sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.

Alas, I don't remember this coming up before so it's probably not in
there, although Demara sugar may be.

Is this called "coffee sugar" because it tends to be used in coffee?
Or because the color reminds folks of coffee?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com