[Sca-cooks] Friesian Dumkes was: Sorry a little lazy

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Thu Jan 4 16:31:43 PST 2007

Friese Dumkes
(Frisian hazelnut and aniseed cookies/biscuits)
[old recipe but not know to be period]

150 g [5.29 oz.]softened salted butter if unsalted butter is used add a
pinch of salt to the recipe.

125 g [4.409 oz.]soft brown sugar or muskovada(?)

2 medium or large eggs, beaten

250 g [8.81 oz] spelt flour Oat flour may be used only if you use large
eggs. If you can't get either regular flour will do.

100 g [3.52oz.] hazelnut meal or roughly ground hazelnuts but the outcome
feels different. [I am assuming the texture is what is being said here]

1-2 tbs. aniseed depends on how much you like aniseed, [Note: Pat said Momo
didn't like it so barely a tablespoon is what she would use.]

1 tsp. powdered cinnamon [ground?]

1/4 tsp powdered ginger Sometime for holidays use minced candied ginger
instead of powdered if you can get them or make them.

Take the butter and sugar and mix till creamy. Mix in the eggs.
In another bowl mix the flour, meal, seeds and spices. [Note: sometimes for
holidays Momo would premake the dry stuff saying that it made things taste
better.] Then gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and eggs.
Roll dough into a log, refrigerate for 20min. and cut into 1cm thick slices
or roll out to about 1cm thick and cut into bars or use cookie cutters.
Place on cookie sheet. take your thumb and press it into the middle of the
cookie to make an impression and bake for 20 -25 minutes, 150 C [300 f] they
should not be brown or brown edged. If the thumb print should happen to
disappear in the baking one can always making it immediatly after removing
from oven. [this sounds like a lesson in masochism, best one hopes the thumb
print doesn't disappear. :)]

mom o is Italian but Pat said that momo was taught to make then from her mom
who got the recipe from a neighbor who go it from someone.
I was told that sometime a dollop of orange marmalade, red current jelly or
raspberry jelly would be put in the indentation.
I think "dumkes" means "thumbs" in Freise but not sure.

De