[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 4 18:00:02 PST 2007

> Huh? Was Oliver Cromwell a Puritan?
<clipped>

> Stefan

I was trying to be a little humorous, but yes he was, so, as has been
pointed out were other important Englishmen.

Collectively, the Protestant denominations who opposed the doctrines of the
Church of England were referred to as Dissenters.  Opposition to the
national church was suspect politically and over time Dissenters were
limited in opportunity and occupation.  In the process of trying to earn a
living, they created many of the occupations that kicked off the Industrial
Revolution and were deeply involved in the colonization of the Americas.

I haven't dug very deeply into their history, but I wonder if Cromwell may
not be at the root of the limitations placed on the Dissenters.

Bear