[Sca-cooks] Protestants prohibited spices in England?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 4 21:08:47 PST 2007

Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 03:00 schrieb Terry Decker:

> I haven't dug very deeply into their history, but I wonder if Cromwell may
> not be at the root of the limitations placed on the Dissenters.

Quite the contrary. Cromwell was instrumental in removing many of the earlier
barriers, and himself being a dissenter voiced the opinion that everyone
shjould be able to follow the dictates of their conscience freely in matters
of religion. As long as it was a *Protestant* religion, of course. And not
immoral. But his reputation as an intolerant persecutor is unfounded. His
concern was firstly with public morality (hence no gaudy display or revelry)
and secondly with national security (hence the Catholics Need Not Apply
policy), not with doctrinal purity. He even allowed Jews back into England -
by his lights they were not a problem, being both conspicuously moral and not
Irish.

Giano