[Sca-cooks] Burger battle (Tallan Family)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 20 16:57:37 PST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 7:22 PM, Suey wrote:

>  Tallan Family wrote:
>> That may be a very early "ground beef patty" recipe, but I'm not sure
>> it qualifies as a "hamburger".
>>
>> David Tallan (SCA Thomas)
>>
>> Re Persian origen of the hamburger imported to Al Andalus
>> (711-1492)as per Barajas-Benavides.
>>
>     I thought a retired Zionist Prof from Columbia an excellant critic
> of my stuff but you guys are better as historical food is your field
> although at times you help me so much I become so frustrated when you
> call me on my crap that I tear my hair.

Are you familiar with the English expression that goes something
like, "Ouch! That hurts! But it feels so good when I stop..." In this
case, if everyone here agrees that your reasoning process is
flawless, you probably should take it as a compliment.

>   Barajas-Benavides is an old
> fashion Spaniard who never cites his matter.

Is this a currently active scholar? I ask because there are several
fields I'm aware of in which there appears to be little or no
unilateral standard for good research versus bad, good versus bad
logic, etc. Look at some 19th-century English books on arms and
armor, with their endless babble about bronze rapiers, or Gibbon's
"Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". It's not that these are
miserable scholars; it's just that in some cases or in some fields,
professional standards have risen, and nobody could say some of the
things that some of those books contain without being challenged by
modern scholars with more research material available, and a more
standardized approach to science. You might also enjoy some of
Charles Fort's deceptively sane critiques of the state of science and
scholarship as recently as the 1930's. He never actually says he
believes in The Hollow Earth, alien visitors, teleportation,
telepathy, the Bermuda Triangle, and rains of frogs. In fact, he says
he doesn't believe the accounts. What he does say is that many of the
scientists of his generation could not be trusted to effectively
disprove reports of such phemonena.

Another possibility (and one which appears may be more applicable
here) is that we're dealing with a modern, comparative non-scholar
making scholarly assertions. Remember Vehling's adaptation of
Apicius, or read Madeline Kammen's recent claim that Taillevent calls
for chili peppers in his Viandier (she simply didn't know what long
pepper was). Unfortunately, most people don't want to follow an
author's reasoning process -- they don't want to be bothered with
learning anything, they just want to read it and "know" it, so most
authors can make all sorts of outrageous claims and few people will
challenge them on them.

> Personally Charles Perry,
> David Friedman and ofcourse you Mark have helped me so much trying
> help
> to document my stuff because due to Dr. Jew I started me trying to do
> that 300 pages after the fact.
> Many thanks for all your help.
> Susan

An old Russian Jewish lady who wound up in Brooklyn once taught me to
make hamburgers by mixing in raw, chopped onion with the beef,
coating the patties with bread crumbs, and frying them in oil. An
excellent, but highly unusual approach. I've never encountered them
in that form anywhere else. It's possible she also was simply
applying the known term "hamburger" to something she knew all her
life under another name... but I very much doubt her, or your
professor friend's, ethnicity or religion had anything to do with
their potential for annoyance ;-). Since these are subjects in which
it is painfully easy to be misunderstood, it's generally considered
best not to discuss them in forums like this.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04