[Sca-cooks] OT - Blondie recipe

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Jan 27 19:06:12 PST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

>> Ok, so I tried to make a pan of blondies using a recipe straight out
>> of the Better Homes cookbook and now I'm rather vexed.  While the
>> results looked perfect and smelled wonderful, when they were cut they
>> turned out to be complete goo beneath a crunchy top (though they
>> still taste good).  I assume something is amiss in the proportions of
>> fats to flour to eggs, but I'll be darned if I know where to begin
>> fixing the recipe.  This is the very first time a Better Homes recipe
>> has turned out anything other than stereotypical for me.  It's a bit
>> like an old friend has let me down.
>>
>> Anyways, the recipe calls for 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2
>> cup butter, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt.
>
> How close did you get to their pan specification (IOW, was it the
> right size, and/or did you fill the pan to the specified depth, or
> rather, the correct depth for the pan size specified)? Oven temp?
> High humidity? High altitude? Did you measure anything by
> approximating volume instead of weight? Did you let them cool before
> cutting into them?

The pan was just what was called for (8x12), depth wasn't specified,
our oven seems to be reasonably close (and I even had it properly pre-
heated this time), altitude & humidity aren't a problem, all
measurements given were by volume, and it said to cut them hot
(though it's still goo now that they're cold).

The goo layer really reminds me of what happens when the fat ratio is
off - which is why I keep going back to it.  Interestingly enough,
the recipe is in an older version of the BH cookbook, but not in my
newer one.

Oh bother.

- Doc

--