[Sca-cooks] OT - Blondie recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 18:14:00 PST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Daniel Myers wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Ok, so I tried to make a pan of blondies using a recipe straight out
> of the Better Homes cookbook and now I'm rather vexed.  While the
> results looked perfect and smelled wonderful, when they were cut they
> turned out to be complete goo beneath a crunchy top (though they
> still taste good).  I assume something is amiss in the proportions of
> fats to flour to eggs, but I'll be darned if I know where to begin
> fixing the recipe.  This is the very first time a Better Homes recipe
> has turned out anything other than stereotypical for me.  It's a bit
> like an old friend has let me down.
>
> Anyways, the recipe calls for 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2
> cup butter, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt.
>
> Any thoughts?  Better recipes?
>
> - Doc

How close did you get to their pan specification (IOW, was it the
right size, and/or did you fill the pan to the specified depth, or
rather, the correct depth for the pan size specified)? Oven temp?
High humidity? High altitude? Did you measure anything by
approximating volume instead of weight? Did you let them cool before
cutting into them?

These are pretty standard questions to be answered when things like
this happen...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782