[Sca-cooks] Using aloe in food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 13 13:57:40 PDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> Aloe seems to be coming back into Spanish cookery.
>> "My trip ended at El Poblet
>
> But....but....but.....I was talking about FOOD!
> This stuff is a sideshow! An abomination it is.

This guy looks like Escoffier compared to Miguel Sanches-Romera,
Spain's greatest neurosurgeon-turned-chef. He does some similar
things, and then some, including using various flavored surgical
supplies (stuff that would otherwise be collagen-based neural
sheathes, for example) in cookery. Hey, they're presumably non-toxic.

You learn all sorts of great stuff in the James Beard Foundation
newsletter...

I can't find the one with Dr. Sanches-Romera's menu, but it was
pretty bizarre, as was the one the month before which featured a menu
for a dinner for the JBF with an "updated steakhouse menu" by an
American chef, the only thing lacking from same being steak. They did
have short ribs, though...

<sigh> I remember when Kathy Casey came to New York from Seattle in
the 80's with her plastic confetti garnishes, thinking it was the end
of the world...

Adamantius