[Sca-cooks] sugar

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 15 07:27:55 PDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 9:27 PM, Ysabeau Lists wrote:

> I have eaten raw sugar cane...a long long time ago as a kid. Mind
> you, these
> are the memories of a pre-2nd grader. I remember living in Florida
> and there
> was a sugar cane farm near our house. For a treat, my father would
> stop at
> this little stand and buy us chunks about the size of our hand of
> sugar cane
> that we would suck and chew on. It was like candy. You would chew
> and suck
> on the sugar cane to get the juice then spit out the pulp. The only
> think I
> can think of that it might possibly be sorta like would be
> sunflower seeds
> but sweet instead of salty...and no seeds. It was a stringy pulp
> and the
> cane was kind of bamboo like.

This is still done today in many parts of SE Asia and Latin America,
but there are also edible portions of the plant, rather like the
tender young hearts of palm, that are edible without having to spit
out the pulp. I seem to recall encountering them sliced fairly
thinly, roughly like a large, thick coin, and steamed with a chopped
shrimp stuffing on top...

Adamantius