[Sca-Cooks] Pasties article in the new T.I.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jul 27 15:35:06 PDT 2007

1. Anyone competent at doing serious SCA research could have caught
that one--the author was perfectly open about what she had done,
starting with a description of how she encountered Cornish pasties
and liked them. It required zero specialized knowledge to realize the
combining a modern pastry crust with a 14th century mushroom pie and
shaping it like a Cornish pasty did not produce anything one had any
reason to think was period.

2. Long ago we were asked if we were willing to do referreeing on
recipes. No articles (One C.A. I think) came to us.

3. This T.I., at least, appears to have no letters column--just
letters from the people producing it.

4. I emailed the managing editor, because I know here; but I gather
from the T.I. that she turns into a pumpkin at the end of this month.
(Lagenaria not Cucurbita, of course).

>I'll check OED.
>
>In the meantime--
>the suggestion that I made on July 16th still stands. If you have a
>problem with
>an article being wrong or citing incorrect material, please write up
>your objections with facts/historical sources etc. and e-mail them to
>the editor directly. The editors are not  food historians so they are
>not going to catch these sorts of things.
>
>Johnnae
>

>Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>  On Jul 27, 2007, at 3:28 PM, David Friedman wrote:
>>>  and T.I. publishes it.
>>>
>>>  As it happens, Chiquart has a pasty recipe--which, needless to say,
>>>  has very little in common with either of hers.
>>>

>>  snipped
>>  Does anybody have an OED entry for "pasty" handy? I'd have to dig
>>  around for a CD-ROM...
>>
>>  Adamantius

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com