[Sca-Cooks] Pasties article in the new T.I.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jul 30 07:27:50 PDT 2007

>Second, T.I. articles are not expected to be as detailed as C.A., but
>clearly those with an historical slant need to be a bit better. And i
>understand, from discussion on another list, that people affiliated
>with T.I. are working to put together a committee to review articles
>that purport to be historical for accuracy.

That would be a good thing. C.A. at one point set up a reviewing
system; I reviewed one for them. But preventing this particular
problem didn't require that, since the problem was not inadequate use
of scholarly resources but the attempt to get a result without
evidence to support it. It's hard to imagine someone competent to
edit T.I. who doesn't realize that the existence of a word in
thirteenth century French doesn't imply the existence of the object
that the corresponding word referred to in 19th century English.

>This was the new editing team's first issue and they might get
>better. I'm not holding my breath, but i'm also not going to make
>assumptions.

I may be wrong, but I think it was the old team's last issue.
--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com