[Sca-cooks] Bread Recipe from my files

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jul 11 18:09:09 PDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Vitaliano Vincenzi wrote:

> The only ingredient I question right now is the olive oil, which I
> know
> was used in period for medicinal purposes, but haven't seen much
> use of
> it in my readings as a food item.

I don't have anything in the way of medieval bread recipes, but I can
find plenty of examples of medieval culinary use of olive oil.  Here
are some examples:

 From "Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin"

109 If you would prepare a good pike. Cook it sour and salt it well
and if it is large, then take the bones out and press it onto a grate
and lay it after that in a frying pan and pour olive oil over it and
vinegar, then it is ready.

 From "Le Menagier de Paris"

Heads of cabbage, at the end of grape-harvest. And when the head of
this cabbage, which is in the middle, is removed, pull and replant
the cabbage stalk in new ground, and there will come out large
spreading leaves: and a cabbage holds great place, and these are
called Roman cabbages, and eaten in winter; and from the stalks, if
they are replanted, come little cabbages called sprouts which are
eaten with raw herbs and vinegar; and if you have plenty, they should
be well cleaned, washed in hot water, and put to cook whole with a
little water: and then when they are cooked, add salt and oil, and
stir it up thick without water, and put olive oil on in Lent. Then
there are other cabbages known as Easter cabbage because they are
eaten at Easter, but they are sown in August; and when after sowing
they are seen to be of half a foot in height, you pluck them and
replant elsewhere, and they should be frequently watered.

 From "Ouverture de Cuisine"

To whiten olive oil for eating in cream. Make a little serenne, like
one churns butter, a little crane thereunder to take the water out:
then put cold water therein, & rake olive oil that is firm, & churn
like butter: having churned a long time, let it cover the water out,
& add new water two or three times, until you see that the oil is
white: then take it out, & serve on plates.

 From "Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books"
Soupes dorrees. Nym oynons, mynce hem, frie hem in oille de olyue:
nym oynons, boille hem with wyn, tost whit bred, and do it in
dishes / and cast almand mylke theron, and ye wyn and ye oynons
aboue, and gif hit forth.

 From "A Treatise of Portuguese Cuisine"
Partridge Slow Cooked in a Clay Pot. Cut a partially baked partridge
into chunks. In a separate pot, prepare the saute with olive oil or
butter, minced onion, cloves, black pepper and saffron. Dredge the
partridge pieces in the wheat flour, and then arrange in the pan
containing the saute. Take vinegar mixed with water, and add this
mixture to the pot containing the partridge enough to fill it
halfway. Add salt to taste. Cook over low heat.

There are lots of others.

- Doc

  Qui a la pance pleine il luy semble que
  tous les autres sont saouls.