[Sca-cooks] Bread Recipe from my files

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Wed Jul 11 11:38:32 PDT 2007

I have had a bread recipe in my files (non-SCA) for a long time although
I haven't made bread since about 1995. Today, for some reason I had the
urge to bake fresh bread and made some of this up. I don't believe it is
a redaction from any period recipe as it was from my pre-SCA life, but I
wanted to see if it could pass as a non-documented period bread. I will
do more research on it later, but wanted to share and get your thoughts.

The only ingredient I question right now is the olive oil, which I know
was used in period for medicinal purposes, but haven't seen much use of
it in my readings as a food item.

---Recipe---

2 Envelopes Active Dry Yeast
2 cups warm water (100°F to 110°F)
2/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons salt
¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried leaf basil
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
½ to 1 cup bread flour (can use all purpose flour)

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add oil, sugar and whole
wheat flour and mix until smooth. Let sponge rest for 20 minutes. Mix
down and add salt, Parmesan, garlic powder, basil and oregano. Stir in
enough bread flour to make dough easy to handle. Knead until smooth and
elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into two rounds, place on greased
baking sheets. Cover with damp towel and allow to rise in warm place
until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Bake on baking sheet or baking
stone at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Regardless of whether or not the recipe is period, or at least uses
period ingredients, it is very good and very easy to make. However, if
someone has a similar bread with period documentation, that would be
great as I would like to serve something similar at my next feast.

--
Yours in service,
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi