[Sca-cooks] TI Article

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jul 16 20:47:30 PDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Barbara Benson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had received and read their TI yet.
>
> If so, does anyone have any thoughts on the article about peas?

On the whole I thought it was ok.  It mostly seemed to be a light
history and "how to" piece.  I personally would have been more
interested in something on how peas were cooked and served in period
in different regions.

I also would have liked more reliance on primary sources.  I don't
have it in front of me, but I think the closest they had to a primary
source was "A Medieval Home Companion", which consists of translated
excerpts from Menagier.

On the flip side, it did make me want to add a few pea plants to the
collection in my cubicle at work.  I have actual sunlight and am
currently growing a dwarf lemon, cayenne pepper, sage, mint,
dianthus, banana, and (in the dark corner) lucky bamboo.  Last summer
I managed to grow several jalapenos and three whole servings of green
beans in an office environment.

- Doc (cubicle farmer)

-=-=-=-
460. Take fayre garbagys of chykonys and Rybbys of Venysoun, an salt
it an skeme it clene, an thanne put hem with brothe yn a-nother
potte, and lete hem kele, an than caste ther-to safron and salt, an
thanne serue hem forth in a fayre dysshe.  [The Boke of Swyllyng]
-=-=-=-