[Sca-cooks] TI Article on Peas

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 19 14:14:03 PDT 2007

My Summer issue of TI came today, so I have now seen the article.
I checked the sources and what jumped out at me is the use of
James Trager's The Food Chronology. That's probably where she got the idea
that Catherine de Medici  in 1533 is responsible for introducing
"smaller Italian peas
to France as well as the habit of eating them fresh and raw."
A quick look at Savoring the Past by Barbara Wheaton reveals that the real
hysteria over green peas at the French Court was in the 1660's.
There's also an odd note that "and when famine struck in 1555, the
English poor
joined the French elite in realizing that green (fresh) peas tasted
quite as good as dried peas."
??? I would have recommended using several other sources. C. Anne
Wilson, Peter
Brears, and a number of others come to mind. There is also of course
that famous article
in Food History News that goes into all the myths regarding Catherine de
Medici
and food. It ought to be required reading before ever mentioning
Catherine in connection with
anything in terms of food history.

Johnnae