[Sca-Cooks] OOP: Sticky-Toffee Pudding

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jul 25 18:46:44 PDT 2007

Howdy,

After watching some show on Food Network about a Haagen-Dazs flavor
competition, and then buying several pints of the winning flavor,
"Sticky-Toffee Pudding" (just to try it out, honest ... I mean, you
really don't know all the subtle nuances of an ice cream until you've
eaten 12 gallons or so), I dug around the net to find a recipe for
the original English dessert of the same name.

So I made some tonight.

[Homer] MmmMMMmmm ... sticky-toffee. [/Homer]

I hope I'm out of the sugar coma by work time tomorrow.

The only thing I can't figure out is how the English managed to keep
this a secret so long.  This stuff should have been the menu of every
Dennys/Perkins/Big Boy/etc... since they first opened their doors.

Ok, enough of that.  Here's the recipe I used:

-=-=-

Sticky-Toffee Pudding

Serves 12 ... or maybe 4 ... or just 1

Ingredients

Pudding:
1 cup pitted dates

1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg, beaten

Toffee Sauce:
7 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup cream
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons rum

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Instructions
Put the dates in a pot of boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes.
Drain and place them into cold water and peel them. Place the peeled
dates in a saucepan with 1 cup water, vanilla extract, and baking
soda. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, watching
carefully to keep it from boiling over. Set aside to cool.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate
bowl, cream 5 tablespoons of butter briefly and then add the date
mixture and eggs.  Add the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine
- do not over mix.  Pour into a greased 8-inch cake pan and bake for
30 minutes, or until done.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on a
wire rack for 10 minutes.  Turn cake out of pan onto a plate.

Toffee Sauce:
Combine 7 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and
cream in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and
simmer for a few minutes.  Remove from heat and add rum.

Serve cake warm, drenched with warm sauce.  Go into sugar coma.

-=-=-

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)