[Sca-cooks] Yogurt

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 17:41:00 PDT 2007

David Friedman wrote:

> For what it's worth, we have always interpreted "Persian Milk" as
> yogurt and it works in the recipes.
    I do not know Arabic but would think that perhaps Huici but
especially Perry would have been be more precise in his translation of
the 13th C. Hispano Arab text if the term Persian milk was used. Over
and over Perry says fresh milk frequently (as Stephan's msg indicates,
how fresh is fresh?) but in two incidents Perry cites laban leaving me
in doubt and you underline this saying yogurt works. As you published
the Perry translation could you tell us what the original text says
directly translated? Or could you ask Charles to give us a reading on
this? Do the two of you think we had yogurt in Spain during Al Andalus?
    Brighid or anyone else, why did it take until 1542 or thereabouts
for yogurt to reach France and why did Sent Sovi and Nola not use the
term yogurt or something like fermented milk to indicate that we could
be talking about that or sour cream (I think they are pretty clear on
the term cheese)? They and other references just say milk without
fermentation terms attached.
Suey