[Sca-cooks] mint water

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jun 4 07:42:10 PDT 2007

Oh, this is the OED on the origin of the word Mint, meaning the plant:

"Cognate with Middle Dutch minte, Old Saxon minta (Middle Low German
minte), Old High German minza (Middle High German minze, minz, German
Minze) < classical Latin menta, mentha, prob. borrowed, like ancient
Greek {mu}{giacu}{nu}{theta}{eta} (in Hellenistic Greek also
{mu}{giacu}{nu}{theta}{omicron}{fsigma}), from an unidentified source.
Cf. Middle Dutch munte, muynte, muente (Dutch munt), Old High German
munza (German Münze) which show unexplained variation in the root vowel.
  The form mente (cf. Middle Dutch mente) may perh. be influenced by
Anglo-Norman, Old French mente (French menthe).] "

In other words, they suggest that the word in both German, Latin, and
Greek are borrowings from an earlier source...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net