[Sca-cooks] Seige Cooking May War

Bj Jane Tremaine vikinglord at cox.net
Mon Jun 11 23:58:43 PDT 2007

My Household (Blackened Pot) again entered in the May War Siege Cook off.
We were given a them of late 11th century on an island off of Italy.

We were given 64 ingredants, lets see if I can remember them all;

cream(we made butter and a soft cheese)
milk
vinager
red wine
pomagranet juice
olive oil
4 eggs
1 leek
1 chicken
1 meaty lamb bone
1 beef bone
approx 1lb of ground pork
1 pork loin
3 small onions
natural sausage casings
1 fish
beets
spinach
rape(not sure of spelling)
garlic
salt
pepper
corrander
mace
ginger
fennell
cinamon
sugar
tyme
dill
almonds
hazel nuts
pistachos
dried apricots
prunes
dates
currents
honey
sour dough starter
rice flower
weat flower
rye flower
ginger
dryed peas
lentels
fava beans
flat beans
garbonzo beans
and a lot of spices I cannot remember the names of

We made;
gingered fish
cream fish soup
salid
susage
fried intestines
pork rolls(both savory and sweet)
pea soup
lentel soup
bread
flat bread
mashed garbonzo beans
roasted pork
stuffed chicken breast
chicken in a cream sauce
sweat bread
prune sauce

We had 4 main cooks, two who helped after they came of the battle field and
two scribes.  No modern cooking teckniques were used and we all forgot a
grinder or mort and pestel.

We got best period use of supplies, and a lot of fun.  I can not remember
the name of the team who took both best presentation and first place, but
they had 2 cooks and were well deserving.

My favoret reciepe is the chicken in a cream sauce. We are going to use in a
future repast for the College of St Isadore. (San Diego State College)

Jana Aoibeall
CAID, Calafia, Blacken Pot and Drafn