[Sca-cooks] Warning!!! Ras would probably have loved this site

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jun 15 18:55:00 PDT 2007

Isn't very difficult. All you do is clean the excess fat out of the
body cavity, and prick the skin all over- just the skin, not into the
flesh- with a fork. Salt it heavily, inside and out, and, if you like,
loosely stuff the inside with a citrus fruit (acid and salt combo
helps render the fat out). Place in a roasting pan, on a rack or
otherwise up off the bottom of the pan.

Cook in a very slow oven- 200-250 F for about 3 hours, uncovered,
until the leg moves easily. Remove from oven and let sit for a while,
tented with foil. Remove the stuffing, if you used it, and discard.
Strain and reserve the fat you've rendered out, and use it for
something else- does a dynamite job as the fat for your scrambled eggs
next morning, for example- just realize it'll be salty.

While it's sitting, take about a cup of your favorite red wine, a
small jar of your favorite jelly, jam, or preserves, and perhaps a
dash of fresh ground pepper, and a wee dab of cinnamon. Mix this
together, bringing it to a simmer, and make a puddle on the plate,
then place the duck piece(s) you're serving on the puddle, and spill
some more sauce on it. Serve, passing the rest of the sauce around for
people to add as desired. Goes very well with wild rice, and a fresh
salad or a green vegetable such as fresh asparagus.

Very simple, very easy.