[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers, barquillos and nieules

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 12:16:04 PDT 2007

Benedicte,
  But the Western Church does indeed, still make the host, ie wafer just the way you describe it, in fact it must be made that way by Roman Canon Law, #924-926 describes, using only pure wheat flour and water, unleavened, pressed into a proper shape.

  Johann

Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    Okay... To add to the roiling confusion... Suey wrote:

>The point is what would be the proper name for barquillos in English?
>Now a Spaniard just reminded me that in church we are given
>'ostias' during communion and we eat ostias or barquillos in the home
>with ice cream in particular today which are store bought and most
>popularly known as barquillos. What are wafers in Spanish she queried? I
>just looked it up they are: barquillos or ostias as per my Cassell's
>bilingual dictionary! Neither obleys nor ostias appear in that dictionary.

  A Spanish recipe for ostias consists of one kilo of flour mixed with
>lots of water to make a very runny batter. Drop one tablespoon on the
>iron and press until toasted.

  Now why doesn't the church make wafers like that?

  Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/

www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"