[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers, etc

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:19:34 PDT 2007

Master Adamtius and Elsie Fleming, I thank you so much for your latest
contribution to this muddle of mine. That is beautiful what you just
wrote Elsie about nieules! I am so excited! Hope will be pleased to know
that I have reviewed today a few more of my files but might not be so
pleased that I have come to the conclusion that wafers are like plants
in that this is the title of a family name in English while in Spanish
and French the family name still is obleys because in Spanish at least
we have no name for wafers. Within that family wafers/obleys we have the
species wafers, obleys, barquillos, nieules, chauds and other small cakes.
    Austin in his Glossary and Index says Obleies and their various
spellings are a wafer cake. . . sweetened. . . that serves for the
bottoms of  Tartes and March-panes which concurs with Nolas nieules but
Austin worries me because his gives page numbers for obley recipes which
do not concur with page numbers in The Fifteenth Century Cookery for
wafer references so I still have sticky differences in defining these
species. Why did Johnna have to go away? Where is our Lady Brighid?
Thank heavens the rest of you are around to help me as you can!
    Interesting your comment Elsie on barquillos because Covarrubias
cites obleys as a very thin pastry made in the form of a rectangle as
clothes covering the coffin of the dead. Barquillos he goes to say are
twisted obleys. Humm I always thought my buddy Ned IV of England
fattened himself on round wafers. Do we have country differences here
cause the French have cornets?
Suey