[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers etc

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 19:42:14 PDT 2007

  Adamantius wrote:
> I believe the first written English recipes may be this one from Harleian 279 later published in Two Fifteenth Centruy Cookery Books.
The one quoted is in Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books, Harleian 279,
p 39, No 24 in Austin´s 1888 edition.
> However, searching for
> instances of obley-like word usage, I find two recipes that refer to
> them, one for crusteroles and one for fritters, calling for dough
> rolled to the size of an oblie, and for apples to be sliced as thin
> as an oblie, respectively. In both cases, Austin includes a
> parenthetical note to the effect that oblies are sacramental wafers.
> Not "they resemble", or are a form of. Are. Which, as I say, if he
> says elsewhere that they're a sweetened wafer cake, I think is a bit
> odd.

Crutse rolles are in Harleian MS 279 on p. 46, No 61 and Frutours is in
Harleian MS 3016 on p. 73 with no number.
> Just out of curiosity, what's your source for that little factoid? I
> ask because there's a piece of probable culinary fakelore from the
> 15th century to the effect that a recipe for Shrewsbury cakes fell
> out of the pocket of Richard III into the mud at Bosworth Field (this
> is probably a 19th-century fabrication).

Blast have spent the day going through the files I have on disks trying
to find where I got the info the Ned IV over indulged in wafers. It must
be in a book I haven't brought from the other apartment yet. As he over
indulged in everything else why no wafers?
    Lady Brighid welcome back and thanks for sharing Covarrubias 1609
version, mine is from 1943. You quote:

". . . Oblea which are half twisted (medio torcidas) as called
"barquillos". Those made "en ca?utos" (in tubes? in the form of tubes")
so that they are very folded (muy plegadas) are called "supplicaciones".
. ."
In Don Quijote Part II Cap 47 we have canutillos de supplicaciones when
the doctor tells Sancho Panza:

 . . . que ha de comer el senor gobernador ahora, para conservar su
salud y corroborarla, es un ciento de cautillos de suplicaciones y unas
tajadicas subtiles de carne de membrillo, que le asienten el estomago y
le ayuden a la digestión. .  .

  . . .what his worship the governor should eat now to preserve and
strength his health and are obleys and some slices of quince that will
sooth his stomach and help his digestion. . . .

They also appear on the menu of the meal Philip II gave to to the
Portuguese in 1580. My understanding is the term "suplicaciones" is
obsolete today but that they bent (another meaning of plegar) or rolled,
i.e. barquillos today.
    I am still stuck on the French nieules don't we have a word for them
in English or Spanish? Suey