[Sca-cooks] Help!!! Camp Ovens

Sandragood at aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 06:30:19 PDT 2007

I have recently discovered that the appliances in the kitchen I was to use
for an upcoming feast is non-existent.  The kitchen was closed two years  ago
and while we have use of the space, none of the appliances work.   Usually this
wouldn't be an issue, as improvising is one of my strong  points.  However,
this time it's a little different in the fact that the  feast has been promoted
as a feast of illusions (subtleties) to go with our  Lugh event title.  The
whole idea around this event has been dissolving  around us do to site issues
and I seriously want to salvage my feast.   Instead of feeling deflated about
the whole thing, I'm trying to figure out how  to make this work.  My feast is
3 weeks away.

This is a one-day event with a lunch feast.  The need for a lot of  precook
has become a necessity.  But the one dish that I'm wanting to  salvage if at
all possible is the meat pie which is the main dish of the whole  feast.  I have
Baronial members already working on the banners of the Peers  of our group
for this presentation and I'd hate to have to change it.   Originally I had
planned to use cookie tins for the pie instead of standard pie  shells, this would
look more like a tower wall.  Now that a lot of this is  having to be done
ahead of time, it would also help with transporting to  site.  Here is a link to
the dish I'm wanting to create.

_Tourtes  parmeriennes_ (http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec69.htm)   or
the direct link...
_http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec69.htm_
(http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec69.htm)

I may have use of a standard house oven...my husband says he can get an LP
conversion kit for the cheap range we have in storage.  I have also been
offered an LP camp oven.  I'm trying to get information on that oven since  I've
never used it before.  I have seen them and have commented they might  be
something nice to have in camp since I have my own army (4 kids) to feed at  any
given event.

I've never used dutch ovens, and my camp cooking has been limited over the
past few years to stove top and grilling.  Baking is something I've wanted  to
be able to do, but haven't taken the time to figure out.  So now I'm in  need
of advice.  Do any of you have suggestions on how to pull this off?

In  Service,

THL Elizabeth Donnan

dictata philologus, factum  captus
(lesson learned, action  taken)