[Sca-cooks] Indian dinner at Pennsic?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jun 17 00:01:40 PDT 2007

>  > >   I'm camping with Little India, who are doing their Biyari, period
>>  >Indian dinner on Tues night.
>>
>>Do you know what their sources are? Period Indian cookbooks are a bit
>>scarce, although there are, of course, food references in the
>>literature.
>
>I've been asked research some recipes from the Nimatnama.   Someone
>else is doing some research too, and I don't know what sources she
>is using.  I helped cook three years ago, I saw a copy of the
>recipes when we were cooking, but was not able to get a copy for
>myself.  The food was very good and seemed appropriate, but I really
>don't know how close to the source they were.  If you have any
>suggestions I'll share them with the lady who is charge.

The one source I know is the _Akbarnama_. It has ingredient lists
for, I think, thirty dishes--quantities but no instructions, the
opposite of the usual medieval recipe. It also has instructions for
making bread and for distilling arrack.

If they have other primary sources, it would be worth posting
something about them here. At one point I thought I was on the trail
of one but I never managed to locate it, and it was a long time ago.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com