[Sca-cooks] Indian dinner at Pennsic?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 12:42:33 PDT 2007

Hi Cariadoc?

Are you not familiar with the Nimatnama?  I have re-read your post here several times and I
can't tell if you have seen this book.  It is 15th Century Mughal from the sultanate of Mandu.
If you don't have it, it is well worth the price and has just been published in the last two
years.  Here is the LC record for it:

The Niʻmatnāma manuscript of the sultans of Mandu : the Sultan’s book of delights /
translated by Norah M. Titley.  London ; New York : RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.
xx, 121 p., [516] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)
 Niʻmatnāmah-yi Nāṣiruddīn Shāhī--Illustrations.
 Cookery--India--Māndu--Early works to 1800.
 Sultans in art--Early works to 1800.
 Manuscripts, Urdu--India--Māndu--Facsimiles.
 Illumination of books and manuscripts, Indic--India--Māndu--Early works to 1800.
 Māndu (India)--Court and courtiers--Food--Early works to 1800.

Thank you for mentioning the Akbarnama.  I have found a 3 vol. copy in English for $45 + the cost
of shipping from India.  It would be interesting to compare the Akbar list with the Ni'mat
recipes and see if there are any cross-overs.

Huette

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> >  > >   I'm camping with Little India, who are doing their Biyari, period
> >>  >Indian dinner on Tues night.
> >>
> >>Do you know what their sources are? Period Indian cookbooks are a bit
> >>scarce, although there are, of course, food references in the
> >>literature.
> >
> >I've been asked research some recipes from the Nimatnama.   Someone
> >else is doing some research too, and I don't know what sources she
> >is using.  I helped cook three years ago, I saw a copy of the
> >recipes when we were cooking, but was not able to get a copy for
> >myself.  The food was very good and seemed appropriate, but I really
> >don't know how close to the source they were.  If you have any
> >suggestions I'll share them with the lady who is charge.
>
> The one source I know is the _Akbarnama_. It has ingredient lists
> for, I think, thirty dishes--quantities but no instructions, the
> opposite of the usual medieval recipe. It also has instructions for
> making bread and for distilling arrack.
>
> If they have other primary sources, it would be worth posting
> something about them here. At one point I thought I was on the trail
> of one but I never managed to locate it, and it was a long time ago.
> --
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/