[Sca-cooks] Medieval Chili

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 09:30:08 PDT 2007

Vitaliano Vincenzi wrote:
> Ok, so I know this is probably a stretch, but for Poorman's Pennsic in
> Northshield later this year I have volunteered to bring something for
> their Friday Night Chili feed, but something tells me that Chili in the
> traditional sense is NOT period - no big deal though. However, in my
> search for something that might be close and in period, I found:
>
> http://www.medievaldiet.com/page46.html
>
> Now, I have done some research on some of these ingredients, and have
> some questions which I have posted on my blog if you are interested:
>
> http://periodfood.blogspot.com/2007/06/period-chili.html
>
> Although I am not really worried about making it Period as I don't think
> it matters for this event, it would be fun if it WERE as close to period
> as possible. :)

Where I would go with this is to step back and look at the concept.
Good meat, with the popular spicy sauce of the day.  In the Medieval
era, this is CAMELINE SAUCE, which I call the "Ketchup of the Middle
Ages" for its prevelence and longevity throughout the centuries.  If you
get any chili heads whinging about the alleged lack of heat in
pre-Capsicum food, give them a batch with extra long pepper.  That's got
extra snap that will get their attention!

Convenient recipes and comments on the Gode Cookery website:
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec12.htm and
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec13.htm

This may be billed as a cold brewet but I think it would be just as nice
hot, with bread or rice for soaking up the juices.  There's also no
reason why you could not use coarsely ground beef instead of sliced,
it's probably cheaper for a crowd and easier to eat without forks.

Selene