[Sca-cooks] Medieval Chili

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Jun 19 09:57:47 PDT 2007

Here is some interesting information I found about Chile's and the spice
trade: http://caliber.ucpress.net/doi/abs/10.1525/gfc.2007.7.2.35 - what
it has to do with this thread is really nothing, but it was interesting.

Susan Fox wrote:
> Where I would go with this is to step back and look at the concept.
> Good meat, with the popular spicy sauce of the day.  In the Medieval
> era, this is CAMELINE SAUCE, which I call the "Ketchup of the Middle
> Ages" for its prevelence and longevity throughout the centuries.  If you
> get any chili heads whinging about the alleged lack of heat in
> pre-Capsicum food, give them a batch with extra long pepper.  That's got
> extra snap that will get their attention!
>
> Convenient recipes and comments on the Gode Cookery website:
> http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec12.htm and
> http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec13.htm
>
> This may be billed as a cold brewet but I think it would be just as nice
> hot, with bread or rice for soaking up the juices.  There's also no
> reason why you could not use coarsely ground beef instead of sliced,
> it's probably cheaper for a crowd and easier to eat without forks.

And thank you for the sources, I see I really need to do a lot more
research to make this "chili" for the event. And now you bring bread
into the discussion - I love to dip good sourdough bread into my chili,
or maybe I could make some small sourdough chili breadbowls.

Dang it, you people make me think too much. :(

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert